This service has been developed to provide operations and logistics managers with the ability to monitor near real-time GPS data of individual vessels or a fleet of vessels located anywhere in the world from one interactive, user-friendly mapping interface. Positional data from the GPS beacon can also be integrated into a client’s existing GIS to place vessels in context with proprietary datasets.
The GPS transmitter is self-contained, battery powered, and housed in a robust, waterproof hull designed to withstand the most extreme forms of maritime conditions. HMI utilizes different types of GPS systems (Iridium, Globalstar, and Service Argos) in its Eddy Watch programs; however, for Asset Tracking, the Iridium Short Burst Technology has proven to be the most appropriate and reliable. The advantages of using this type of transmitter include:
- The ability to transmit positions from virtually any location in the world;
- The functionality of the unit to ‘back fill’ positions if a satellite is not acquired during a scheduled report time; and, most importantly--
- The flexibility to remotely change the report rate (e.g.: 1 position per day to 1 position per 15 minutes) at a moment’s notice.
Features of the Asset Tracking Mapper include, but are not limited to:
- Observation of past positions
- Animation tool for viewing past activity
- View a text file of a vessel’s historical raw positions
- Green icon indicating the location of the asset and direction of travel
- “Mouse-over” box indicating latitude/longitude, time stamp of position, speed, and nearest city/port
- Zoom, pan, and distance measurement tool
- Environmental layers displaying Eddy Watch data and modeled wind velocity and wave height in relation to a client’s site.
Clients of this service include: BP America, EOG Resources Trinidad, INPEX